Let’s have Basic knowledge of How Search Engines work? Let’s understand the Basics of the Largest search engine “Google”:
Step 1: User of search engine shoots any query on the search engine to know any Information
Step 2: Google Bot (Bot, Robot or Web Crawler, or Spider) finds out Web Pages that match with Search query. Google Bot will first match the query string with existing Web Pages indexed on their Search Engine.
So, For Website owners, it will be beneficial if their web pages are already Crawled and Indexed by Google. Whatever web pages Bot will find out quickly, Bot will show information to them according to an order of relevancy.
Therefore, it is very crucial for website owners to Submit their Sitemap to Google.
Google Bot constantly crawls billions of web pages for information.
Step 3: Once Bot finds a page relevant to Query matched by the user of Search Engine, there are many factors that Google will consider before showing the web page in Search Result.
Let’s Understand some important Parameters depending on which web page will show to search result.
- Crawling: Google Bot will crawl the entire information of the Website URL be it text, images, or videos, provided the Bot is not Blocked by the website owner from accessing the site. Crawling also depends upon factors on additional parameters like Network errors such as Firewall settings, DNS errors, etc.
- Indexing & Serving search result: Once information is crawled by the Bot, it stores information of web pages stored on a larger database. The Indexed web pages will automatically be shown in the search result when the relevant Query is matched.
Indexing will be based on factors such as:
- Relevance of Content:
Relevant and Quality information is provided to users of the Search engine. The ultimate target of Google is to provide users of search engines with rich and quality information within a fraction of a second.
- Quality of content should be Rich:
Google Bot will show pages on search engine-provided web pages following Guidelines described by Google under Quality Guidelines and Content Guidelines. Here, Google’s EAT plays a major role in (YMYL) Your Money Your Life sites. It is suggested to include the Author Bio, Introduction, mentioning of Forum names, Qualifications and Expertise because it contributes much to Google’s EAT.
For Legal Advisors, adding Customer testimonials, Recent articles published by Authors and Awards received, etc is vital to make the websites Authoritative and Trustworthy. Linking to articles published in newspapers, recent judgments or successful verdicts plays an important role. Google always wants to Rank the Higher Quality Content on its Search Engine. An Author’s Wikipedia Page, if available, improves Google’s E-A-T for ranking. It is important to write as much as in detail about Authors on your website on the About us Page.
Following practices violates “Google’s Quality Guidelines”
- Cloaking: is one of them. Cloaking means providing of different content to Human visitors, to URL or site, and else to Bot. This is generally done to manipulate ranking on Search Engines and get Higher ranks.
- Virus injected content: Injecting virus into the web pages or URLs with an intention of hacking or malicious intentions.
Lastly, Google Algorithm updates:
Here, is a link for Google’s Page Experience update
Link for Google’s Product Review update on site
Also, read Google’s Link Spam Algorithm update where it states that it is against Google’s guidelines of making paid Backlinks.
Google updates its Algorithms from time to time to provide enhanced results for the search queries.
So, it is a crucial factor to update your website accordingly to stay in the competition and update your website content from time to time, when major changes are announced.
Also read Basic Search Engine Optimization for Search engines like Google